On Track is the first level of Rolling Thunder, the fifth mission of Medal of Honor: Frontline. It takes place in the German city of Emmerich, where Jimmy needs to board a train to follow Sturmgeist to the secret jet production facility.
23 September 1944-0100 Hours
Welcome to Emmerich, Jimmy. Take one last look around. Come dawn, there won't be much left. Now, Emmerich station is just outside your hotel window. Sturmgeist's personal armored train awaits him there, and he'll be arriving momentarily to get aboard. We believe his destination is the secret airbase, so you must be a passenger on that train as well, Lieutenant! You're our best chance at finding that base's location, Patterson.
While security is light, the Wehrmacht isn't likely to let you waltz into the terminal, so acquire an officer's uniform for the task. Then, follow Sturmgeist into the station from a safe distance. While you're inside, and before you steal aboard Sturmgeist's train, see if you might disable the main track controls. This should throw the Nazi's supply routes into disarray for a while.
Remember, Lieutenant, there is another important reason you need to be on that train. The Royal Air Force will be launching a bombing run on Emmerich tonight, and sadly, come sunrise much of the city will be nothing but rubble. We'd hate to hear that one of our prize agents was somewhere beneath that debris.
So, get on that train, Patterson!
- Steal Officer's Uniform
- Steal Officer's ID Papers
- Enter Train Station
- Destroy Station Controls
- Board Sturmgeist's Train
Jimmy is standing on a small balcony and watches as Sturmgeist enters the Emmerich train station with his guards.
Rudolf von Sturmgeist: "Is my train ready? I'm due back in Gotha first thing in the morning."
Allgemeine-SS Bodyguard 1: "Of course, Herr Sturmgeist!"
Rudolf von Sturmgeist: "Good! I can't wait to leave this country, the food's revolting."
Allgemeine-SS Bodyguard 2: "Right this way, Sir!"
James turns around and makes it out to the hallway. He goes in the room next to his and steals a German officer's uniform and his papers. Patterson walks past a shower room and goes downstairs, where a SS officer is waiting for him.
SS Guard: "Did you leave your papers in your room, Sir?"
Jimmy shows his papers to the guard.
SS Guard: "That's a handsome photo of you."
The guard lets Jimmy pass and he goes outside and heads to the entrance of the train station. There, he shows his identification to an SS officer at the doors to the station, who asks the exact same thing as the guard before.
Just as he enters, the man he stole the uniform from who was in the shower room runs out in boxers and warns the other men about Jimmy.
German in Boxers: "That man stole my pants! Imposter! He is an imposter!"
The rest of the guards begin firing on Patterson and a firefight ensues. After all have been killed, he moves on, going through a laundry room and up the stairs. Suddenly an alarm sounds when Jimmy gets to the controls room. He kills the men inside and disables the controls. In the next room, he is confronted by the malevolent chef, who threatens him repeatedly.
Malevolent Chef: "Come and get me. I just sharpened these!"
Jimmy kills him and enters a bar, with a drunk German inside. After he kills them and their bartender, he makes his way to a train platform, where a train is coming in. He kills the men and gets in a hallway, with a few side rooms, and then into a waiting room with a sleeping German on one of the booths. After neutralizing them, he finds another train platform.
German Officer: "Did you hear something?"
The city's air raid sirens sound and bombs start exploding outside of the station as Jimmy enters and kills all the men inside, before going up more stairs and goes into a room with three Germans, one smoking near his desk. He eliminates them and a bomb explodes outside the window of the office, shaking the building. Now, he gets inside the last room, with some cargo supplies hanging from the ceiling. Before Patterson can run down the stairs, another bomb explodes on the roof, dropping the cargo package and collapsing the ceiling. He kills more Germans and exits the building and sees two British bomber planes fly over the city and drop a bomb on a building. Jimmy hops on Sturmgeist's train just seconds before it leaves.
Jimmy must infiltrate the Emmerich train station and board Sturmgeist's armored train as it departs for the research facility at Gotha. He also must sabotage the station controls to disrupt German supply movement before the British Royal Air Force bombs the city.
Start out by turning around, and move to the door. Enter the hallway, and the first door on the left (across from the steaming shower room) contains the German uniform on the bed and papers on the nightstand. Make sure you equip the papers, and head down stairs. Show them to the officer to be let out. Mingle with the German soldiers in the plaza if you wish, but your real goal is to show your papers to the door guard, and enter the train station. When you begin to do that, the officer you stole the uniform from will run into the square in his underwear and expose you. Combat begins here, unless you were quick enough to get through the first door of the station before the officer yells. Continue through the station, passing by or killing two Germans in the baggage room, and two more in the laundry room. Up the laundry room stairs a German soldier is standing over a console, these are the controls you must destroy. Simply shoot at them to break them, but an alarm will sound and your cover will be blown. After dealing with the two officers, proceed through the now open side door. A Malevolent Chef awaits you in this room, eat the bread to regain some health if needed. In the next room, a large number of German soldiers are at the bar, along with one Drunk German. After they are eliminated, step out onto the platform. After fighting across, open the door directly across from the bar door, and enter a hallway, clearing more Germans until you reach another platform. Cross this the same way you did the other one, and continue until you reach an office. After taking out the three Germans inside, continue through the next door. A bomb will hit the next room, collapsing the ceiling and killing all the Germans inside. Proceed outside, killing the soldiers around Sturmgeist's platform. Look up from near the flatcar at the back of the train, and you might see the Nazi UFO easter egg. Board the flatcar to end the level.
- In the level's intro cutscene, Sturmgeist remarks that he can't wait to leave the country because the food's revolting. However, he is departing to a location that is still within Germany.
- As in A Chance Meeting, Sturmgeist's guards carry K98ks, while whenever they are fought as a standard enemy, they carry StG-44s.
- After leaving the hotel at the beginning, a wanted poster for James Patterson can be seen on the wall to the left of the station's doors behind the German guard. According to the poster, James is wanted for 5,000 Reichsmarks (which is equal to 1.579,24 US-Dollars).
- The score piece playing is called "Thuringer Wald Express", indicating the name of the railroad line operating in the station. The name literally means "Thüringer Forest" Express.
- The Nazi UFO easter egg can be seen in this mission.
- It is strange how the player doesn't see any more bomber planes flying over the city when it is supposed to be an air raid on the city towards the end of the level.
- The German Officer in boxers that blows your cover at the train station entrance seems to be the one in the shower room when Patterson is stealing uniform.
- This is the last level in the game that Jimmy has to disguise himself to infiltrate a facility.
- This is also the last level in the game to feature the Silenced Pistol as a weapon.
- Near the end of the level, when the player reaches the armored train, a pair of Lancaster bombers can be seen flying in the sky and one of them drops a bomb on a building.
- Although the level starts at 01:00, the clock at the beginning of the level indicates 03:25.
- The truck at the beginning of the level unscrewed wheel is different from the others.
- The time on the clock at the beginning of the level and in the middle of the level are different.